To get a fabulous beachy look (even though you don’t go to the beach), most girls go for dry shampoos. However, there is another choice: sea salt spray. Have you ever heard of it?
What is sea salt spray?
Sea salt spray gives your hair beautiful waves due to the salt component in the spray, so that you can style your hair into the wet, messy, “beachy” look everyone loves. Most sea salt sprays work for a range of hair types. The difference is in the amount of salt in each product. If you have naturally curly and voluminous hair, you will only need to use a very minimal amount. Otherwise, if your hair is flat or thinning, it can help you build luscious looking hair.
Why should we use sea salt spray?
Many sea salt spray products use epsom salt, and not actual sea salt. In fact, epsom salt is actually good because it keeps your hair from drying out. Sea salt spray works very quickly and also very easy to use. Sea salt makes your hair soft and smooth and adds volume to it. For this reason, salt can be found in shampoos and conditioners.
Sea salt spray is convenient and effective. It gives you a fabulous beachy look, just like dry shampoo. However, sea salt spray does not clean your hair. It is a styling product only.
Tips to use sea salt spray on dry hair:
- Use it as the final step after you have done all the styling: You should finish blow drying or curling your hair, also finish applying serums or creams. After you’ve done everything, use sea salt spray from the mid lengths to the ends of your hair.
- Never apply to the roots of your hair: Sea salt spray works best on the end and mid lengths part of your hair. So, you should only spritz it slightly on the ends of your hair and shake or scrunch it up in your hands to encourage the curl.
- Don’t use too much: Sea salt spray adds texture to your hair. Consequently, if you spray too much you may weigh your hair down.
- “What if I need extra volume at the roots?”In this case, styling powder can help you.
- Skip the hairspray. Too much or too little is never a good idea. Sea salt spray offers some hold already so you won’t need to use anymore hairspray.
Tips to use sea salt spray on wet hair:
- Use it with damp hair, not wet hair.You don’t have to wait until your hair is completely dry. However, remember to apply it to towel dried hair, not when your hair is soaking wet.
- Never rub your hair with a towel.Be careful not to rub your hair with a towel as this will break up your curls if you have curly hair.
- Spritz sea salt spray at the ends and mid lengths of your hair.Never spray it on the roots of your hair. After that, slightly scrunch it into your hair but try not to touch your hair too much.
- Let your hair dry naturally. Let your hair air dry. Once it’s dry you can scrunch the ends a little more to emphasize the texture if you want.
Some best sea salt spray products I’d like to recommend to you:
If you want a perfect bohemian style, you should definitely go for the David Babaii Boho Beach Spray.
Pureology: salt-free but still gives you sea kissed texture. Pureology is for highlighted hair which is usually dry, and needs more care.
Bumble & Bumble Surf Spray indeed makes you feel like you just stepped off a boat with perfectly windswept waves.
Original & Mineral Surf Bomb is indeed the bomb (pun on purpose) of all the sea salt spray products: low chemical but high performance. Pureology will give your hair a beachy look even though you’re miles away from the sea.
Schwarzkopf / Taft / Got2B (the name is different in different countries): great value for the price, giving you surfer chic hair.